Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 76: Ouch (1.29.11)

~You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax - tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough~ Pearl Williams

**Names have been changed**

My colon hurts or more accurately, I'm experiencing abdominal crampage.  My left side hurts and the lower part of my tummy is puffy and bloated.  My rectum and anus are sensitive and surprisingly, my hamstrings are sore from being so tense during the procedure.  I also have disturbing memories of seeing my veiny colon and watching them suck up excess waste from my intestines.  Grrr, my favorite proctologist lied and said this wasn't going to be painful.  This morning, I thought I was ready to expel intestinal gas, but unfortunately, I was wrong and a pair of underwear became my first and only casualty.  I'm a big baby when it comes to intrusive medical procedures, so if I have to do this again in 5 years, it'll be too soon.  Hopefully, they'll come up with a virtual colonoscopy by then or one not involving a probe.

Last night at AA, we numbered off and broke up into smaller groups like we usually do for the last part of the meeting.  I ended up being in a group that included 3 cute boys who were either in their late teens or early 20's.  Oh, if I could only be 16 years younger.  Luckily, there was a lot of conversation noise around us, otherwise, they would've heard my tummy gurgling the whole time.  It reminded me of that scene from Dumb and Dumber except I tried not breaking the seal from the other end while I listened to the 3 cute boys tell their stories.  I'm getting to know more people at this particular AA meeting, so it's been fun and I learn a lot from their stories.  I also met with my cool sponsor for the first time at Caribou to talk about working through the 12 steps.  She's probably in her late 40's and is sassy, strong and smart.  She'll be great as I need someone who's stronger than me who will challenge me and hold me accountable.  She gave me some homework assignments for the 1st step.  

I had dinner with Liz tonight at Kona Grill and then we rented Robin Hood with one of my favs hottie Russell Crowe.  This was our first "date" post inpatient treatment and it's always great to laugh with her.  Of course, we talked about her favorite topic sex.  She's also in the evening outpatient group with me.  It's been awesome so far making new friends with sober peeps.


No comments: