~He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice~ Albert Einstein
I woke up early and got ready to meet with my counselor Rachel, so that I could be released from suspension and resume programming. She's in her late 20's and has kind of a granola vibe. Of all the counselors, I found her to be the most relatable. She's a recovering alcoholic and also struggled with eating disorders growing up. Everyone is assigned a main counselor when they get to treatment and I was glad she was mine. She's very down-to-earth, caring and adores her year old son. I met her at the center in Burnsville and she seemed happy to see me. We went to one of the meeting rooms and she started off by saying that she was sorry that I was sick. They just wanted to make sure that I wasn't falling off the wagon by missing programming. She said that it's normal for people to get sick when they get sober because their defenses are down. I had to think for a moment if I'd rather be sick with bronchitis or drunk and when the latter seemed more appealing, I quickly thought of something else.
She asked me to do one more week of programming for make-up and then I would be able to graduate next Monday from Burnsville. My roomies were planning to take me out to dinner for graduation this Friday, but I jokingly told them to move it to Monday in case I relapse and don't graduate. Apparently, they took me seriously and moved it to next week. I love my roomies though. They've been amazingly sweet and supportive as they didn't sign up to have a recovering addict living in there.
Later that day, I got my brain and spinal MRI scans back for the car accident last fall and unfortunately, my brain scans came back wonderfully, so I have no excuses about my ditziness or nerdiness. The spinal scan showed a small injury to my upper spine which causes stiffness and tightness in my upper back. My chiro continues to work on that area, but it can be painful if she presses too hard. The good thing is that my neurologist said that it shouldn't get any worse. She told me to work my core by doing pilates and yoga. I slouch all the time so now it's motivation to actually sit up straight like a nerd and not hide.
I woke up early and got ready to meet with my counselor Rachel, so that I could be released from suspension and resume programming. She's in her late 20's and has kind of a granola vibe. Of all the counselors, I found her to be the most relatable. She's a recovering alcoholic and also struggled with eating disorders growing up. Everyone is assigned a main counselor when they get to treatment and I was glad she was mine. She's very down-to-earth, caring and adores her year old son. I met her at the center in Burnsville and she seemed happy to see me. We went to one of the meeting rooms and she started off by saying that she was sorry that I was sick. They just wanted to make sure that I wasn't falling off the wagon by missing programming. She said that it's normal for people to get sick when they get sober because their defenses are down. I had to think for a moment if I'd rather be sick with bronchitis or drunk and when the latter seemed more appealing, I quickly thought of something else.
She asked me to do one more week of programming for make-up and then I would be able to graduate next Monday from Burnsville. My roomies were planning to take me out to dinner for graduation this Friday, but I jokingly told them to move it to Monday in case I relapse and don't graduate. Apparently, they took me seriously and moved it to next week. I love my roomies though. They've been amazingly sweet and supportive as they didn't sign up to have a recovering addict living in there.
Later that day, I got my brain and spinal MRI scans back for the car accident last fall and unfortunately, my brain scans came back wonderfully, so I have no excuses about my ditziness or nerdiness. The spinal scan showed a small injury to my upper spine which causes stiffness and tightness in my upper back. My chiro continues to work on that area, but it can be painful if she presses too hard. The good thing is that my neurologist said that it shouldn't get any worse. She told me to work my core by doing pilates and yoga. I slouch all the time so now it's motivation to actually sit up straight like a nerd and not hide.
No comments:
Post a Comment