~Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race~ Calvin Coolidge
I earned a 24 hour and 30 day medallion from AA while in inpatient treatment. Now, I'll receive a 60 day one. I guess there are nicer medallions that some groups hand out, but I attend one that hands out poker chips with a sticker attached with the number of days sober. Luckily, I have not become a gambling addict, otherwise, this might be a little trigger. There's a little medallion ceremony during the meeting and usually, someone that you know will say a few words and then present you with the medallion. Sometimes the recipient will say something about how they accomplished the goal. How did I do it? Hmmm...determination, prayer and newly discovered self-respect.
I received information during treatment that depending on what you were addicted to, you can experience withdrawal symptoms for up to 10 years. It's called Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). The following information was published by The Ohio State University Medical Center. Obviously, recovery from alcohol and drug use causes many symptoms. These occur as the body attempts to repair the brain and other organs. Symptoms start 7 to 14 days after stopping alcohol and drug use. They peak over the next 3 to 6 months. If you want to have long-term recovery, you must learn how to manage these symptoms.
Some of the more common symptoms are:
Long-term users of opiate pain killers, stimulants like cocaine and amphetamines and benzodiazipines like Valium or Klonopin are on different cycles when they stop using. They may have symptoms for up to 10 years.
On day 60, I'm experiencing issues with concentration, emotional numbness, sleep problems and clumsiness. On second thought, the clumsiness might just still be me. I'm managing these issues by listening to my body and not fighting feelings of guilt, pain and sadness. I've been napping more than usual. I think I'm still mourning the loss of some of my family members.
I earned a 24 hour and 30 day medallion from AA while in inpatient treatment. Now, I'll receive a 60 day one. I guess there are nicer medallions that some groups hand out, but I attend one that hands out poker chips with a sticker attached with the number of days sober. Luckily, I have not become a gambling addict, otherwise, this might be a little trigger. There's a little medallion ceremony during the meeting and usually, someone that you know will say a few words and then present you with the medallion. Sometimes the recipient will say something about how they accomplished the goal. How did I do it? Hmmm...determination, prayer and newly discovered self-respect.
I received information during treatment that depending on what you were addicted to, you can experience withdrawal symptoms for up to 10 years. It's called Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). The following information was published by The Ohio State University Medical Center. Obviously, recovery from alcohol and drug use causes many symptoms. These occur as the body attempts to repair the brain and other organs. Symptoms start 7 to 14 days after stopping alcohol and drug use. They peak over the next 3 to 6 months. If you want to have long-term recovery, you must learn how to manage these symptoms.
Some of the more common symptoms are:
- Not able to think clearly - May have trouble with problem solving and concentration.
- Memory problems - Forgetful and not able to remember recent things.
- Emotions are over-active or numb - Emotions are out of proportion to the event. May lose control and do something rash or impulsive. May have emotions shut down and feel numb. May have mood swings.
- Sleep problems - Trouble falling asleep, staying asleep or waking early. May have changes in sleep patterns. May have dreams, often about using, that disrupt sleep.
- Coordination problems - Dizziness, trouble with balance, problems with hand and eye coordination, reflexes slow causing person to be clumsy and prone to accidents.
Long-term users of opiate pain killers, stimulants like cocaine and amphetamines and benzodiazipines like Valium or Klonopin are on different cycles when they stop using. They may have symptoms for up to 10 years.
On day 60, I'm experiencing issues with concentration, emotional numbness, sleep problems and clumsiness. On second thought, the clumsiness might just still be me. I'm managing these issues by listening to my body and not fighting feelings of guilt, pain and sadness. I've been napping more than usual. I think I'm still mourning the loss of some of my family members.
No comments:
Post a Comment