~In therapy I have learned the importance of keeping spiritual life and professional life balanced. I need to regain my balance~ Tiger Woods
It was my first full week at LA Fitness or laFitness as I like to call it. Just like Tarjay instead of Target. Anyway, the hot training manager is having me workout with 2 guys and 1 gal and then selecting 1 to workout with for the rest of the year. I'm not legally bound to "hire" the most qualified and could select one based on hotness. However, I promised myself that I would follow the anti-discrimination policies and choose someone who would challenge me, was passionate and knowledgeable about fitness and had a sense of humor.
I worked out with the 2 guys this week. Both were good. One was calm and knowledgeable. We did a series of balancing exercises. I was very wobbly and had a hard time focusing. I think when I did Wii Fit once, it said that I had the balance of a 70-year- old. I think as I balance my life, it will manifest in these exercises. I'm working hard to strengthen my core body as well as core spirit, so then hopefully, I'll be less wobbly in the future. Since I'm a little more spasmodic in general, I needed someone with higher energy. The next guy was a bit funny, a little more energetic and slightly cocky. I learned that he's from out East, so that explained it. I've met some of these East Coasters at work, so I could handle it. We did arms and he pushed me which is why I need a trainer at the gym and in life. The minute I feel pain or discomfort I usually stop lifting weights or I'd use alcohol or drugs to stuff those feelings. I'm looking forward to building endurance in all things.
I plan to spend this year training and running shorter races; 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons. In 2012, I'd like to run Twin Cities and/or Grandma's Marathon. My goal for all these races is just to finish. I thought I had all day, but apparently, at Twin Cities, you have to finish the race in like 6 hours which is about a 13 minute mile. At the gym one day, I ran 1 mile in 12 minutes and then the next day, I ran 2 miles in 25 minutes, so I have a lot of work to do. My slumlord has run 4 marathons and strongly suggested not running Twin Cities this year and also, in talking with one of the trainers, he told me that it takes about a year to train. With all the recovery stuff, work and other activities, I'll feel more comfortable and confident with a year and a half of training under me. In addition, I'm going to ask my swimmer friend to teach me how to swim laps and maybe do a triathlon someday. Can't believe I'm talking like this, but it's fun to have goals again.
I believe I complained a couple weeks ago in a post about how a billion people in this world don't have access to clean drinking water. I was planning on just praying for these people and then last week, at my church, there were sign-ups for different groups and activities. One of which was to join some people at church who are running Twin Cities to raise awareness and money for the contaminated water crisis in Africa. Great, another challenge from my ultimate Trainer in life. Thanks, God! I was trying to impress a boy, but apparently, this is what I should do anyway. He pushes me again and I love it. It'll have to wait for next year though, so I can train my old bones.
I feel stronger mentally and physically after spending hours at the gym this week. I actually feel better than when I hung out at the bar for happy hours and hours. I'm able to release stress and tension especially before and after treatment and writing. I feel it's necessary time spent for my health as I continue to be in remission from this disease. I do cardio on the elliptical, treadmill, bike and stair climber. I like to mix it up because I get bored easily. I use the weight machines; alternating arm and leg days. The free weight section intimidates me, so I don't go in there. I've taken a few Yoga classes and then I've observed other classes from the safety of the treadmill to see if I'm coordinated enough to attend those ones. They have a Hip Hop and Latin Heat class that I'd like to try out, so I can shake my hopefully, smaller bootie by then. I'm glad to finally do something about the parts of my body that I've hated instead of just complaining about it.
I've also been enjoying God's "artwork." Of course, I just happen to workout at the times when the hot trainer is working, but it's just healthy motivation to get my bootie there. In rehab, they said that it was okay at the beginning, if our motivation was to get sober for someone other than ourselves like kids, family or friends because they knew as we learned to love ourselves, we would stay sober for ourselves as well as others. The gym is just for me, but I guess, whatever helps me get there is a gift from my Trainer. One of my favorite memories early in elementary school was when volunteers would come into our classrooms and tell us stories about particular paintings through a program at the Minnesota Institute of Arts. I hope the program still exists because that was my first exposure to the world of art. Anyway, like any piece of artwork at the museum or at the gym, I'm respectful. I admire, study and then let it go. No more obsession, but a practice in training my mind and body in the art of self-discipline and balance.
It was my first full week at LA Fitness or laFitness as I like to call it. Just like Tarjay instead of Target. Anyway, the hot training manager is having me workout with 2 guys and 1 gal and then selecting 1 to workout with for the rest of the year. I'm not legally bound to "hire" the most qualified and could select one based on hotness. However, I promised myself that I would follow the anti-discrimination policies and choose someone who would challenge me, was passionate and knowledgeable about fitness and had a sense of humor.
I worked out with the 2 guys this week. Both were good. One was calm and knowledgeable. We did a series of balancing exercises. I was very wobbly and had a hard time focusing. I think when I did Wii Fit once, it said that I had the balance of a 70-year- old. I think as I balance my life, it will manifest in these exercises. I'm working hard to strengthen my core body as well as core spirit, so then hopefully, I'll be less wobbly in the future. Since I'm a little more spasmodic in general, I needed someone with higher energy. The next guy was a bit funny, a little more energetic and slightly cocky. I learned that he's from out East, so that explained it. I've met some of these East Coasters at work, so I could handle it. We did arms and he pushed me which is why I need a trainer at the gym and in life. The minute I feel pain or discomfort I usually stop lifting weights or I'd use alcohol or drugs to stuff those feelings. I'm looking forward to building endurance in all things.
I plan to spend this year training and running shorter races; 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons. In 2012, I'd like to run Twin Cities and/or Grandma's Marathon. My goal for all these races is just to finish. I thought I had all day, but apparently, at Twin Cities, you have to finish the race in like 6 hours which is about a 13 minute mile. At the gym one day, I ran 1 mile in 12 minutes and then the next day, I ran 2 miles in 25 minutes, so I have a lot of work to do. My slumlord has run 4 marathons and strongly suggested not running Twin Cities this year and also, in talking with one of the trainers, he told me that it takes about a year to train. With all the recovery stuff, work and other activities, I'll feel more comfortable and confident with a year and a half of training under me. In addition, I'm going to ask my swimmer friend to teach me how to swim laps and maybe do a triathlon someday. Can't believe I'm talking like this, but it's fun to have goals again.
I believe I complained a couple weeks ago in a post about how a billion people in this world don't have access to clean drinking water. I was planning on just praying for these people and then last week, at my church, there were sign-ups for different groups and activities. One of which was to join some people at church who are running Twin Cities to raise awareness and money for the contaminated water crisis in Africa. Great, another challenge from my ultimate Trainer in life. Thanks, God! I was trying to impress a boy, but apparently, this is what I should do anyway. He pushes me again and I love it. It'll have to wait for next year though, so I can train my old bones.
I feel stronger mentally and physically after spending hours at the gym this week. I actually feel better than when I hung out at the bar for happy hours and hours. I'm able to release stress and tension especially before and after treatment and writing. I feel it's necessary time spent for my health as I continue to be in remission from this disease. I do cardio on the elliptical, treadmill, bike and stair climber. I like to mix it up because I get bored easily. I use the weight machines; alternating arm and leg days. The free weight section intimidates me, so I don't go in there. I've taken a few Yoga classes and then I've observed other classes from the safety of the treadmill to see if I'm coordinated enough to attend those ones. They have a Hip Hop and Latin Heat class that I'd like to try out, so I can shake my hopefully, smaller bootie by then. I'm glad to finally do something about the parts of my body that I've hated instead of just complaining about it.
I've also been enjoying God's "artwork." Of course, I just happen to workout at the times when the hot trainer is working, but it's just healthy motivation to get my bootie there. In rehab, they said that it was okay at the beginning, if our motivation was to get sober for someone other than ourselves like kids, family or friends because they knew as we learned to love ourselves, we would stay sober for ourselves as well as others. The gym is just for me, but I guess, whatever helps me get there is a gift from my Trainer. One of my favorite memories early in elementary school was when volunteers would come into our classrooms and tell us stories about particular paintings through a program at the Minnesota Institute of Arts. I hope the program still exists because that was my first exposure to the world of art. Anyway, like any piece of artwork at the museum or at the gym, I'm respectful. I admire, study and then let it go. No more obsession, but a practice in training my mind and body in the art of self-discipline and balance.
1 comment:
Hey girl. As you know I am relatively new to running myself but have run 3 half marathons and a few other shorter races. Would love to train and run in some events with you - just let me know. Currently am signed up for a 5 mile in my hometown in 2 weeks, Get Lucky 7K and a half marathon in La Crosse on 5/1. Let's get something on the calendar together!
Post a Comment