Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 100: Sleep (2.22.11)

~Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care.  The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course, Chief nourisher in life's feast~ William Shakespeare


Before I write a memoir on my experiences with addiction and recovery, I want to first write a book called Minneapolis Snow Emergency Parking for Dummies.  My small brain will likely never get the parking rules and I don't feel like spending time studying the following:  Day 3 parking rules begin at 8 a.m. Wednesday. From 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. park on the EVEN SIDE of non-Snow Emergency route streets, either side of Snow Emergency routes, and Parkways. DO NOT PARK on the ODD SIDE of non-Snow Emergency routes.  Ugh!  I just park on the side of the road where most other cars are parked and pray that I don't get towed.  Luckily, I have roomies that look out for me, too.   

One of life's great reset buttons is sleep.  This week, is my first full week of work and Tuesday was day 4 of my return.  No more napping or sleeping in to make up for sleepless nights as I was able to do while on leave.  I need to make sleep one of my top priorities if I'm going to manage stress and stay sober.  If I don't get enough sleep, I'm setting myself up for potential failure the next day by beginning the day exhausted.  I gotta get my schedule figured out.  Since I haven't won the lottery, I need to work full time, but still want to participate in a hundred different things.  Now that I'm living back in the real world of work, I need to let some stuff go.  In the past, I created a lot of stress in my life by saying yes to everyone and everything and now that I know better, I need to empower myself by continuing to set boundaries and practice the art of saying no in order to maintain my sanity.    

No comments: