~A lot of exercise is mindless; you can have music or the radio on and not be aware. But if you're aware in anything you do - and it doesn't have to be yoga - it changes you. Being present changes you~ Mariel Hemingway
The zillionth blizzard this winter began Sunday afternoon. I can't see over a lot of the snowbanks while I'm driving in the city, so I feel like I'm playing Frogger every time I cross the road. I haven't gotten squashed, yet, but I've had some really close calls. I cautiously traveled to the gym after church. I decided to jog 3 miles and improve upon the 2 miles in 25 minutes that I did about a week ago. The first mile seems to be the hardest for me and after getting over the hump, my legs start feeling a little hoppier.
I saw the hot trainer with another cute trainer when I walked into the gym. I warmed up my body and eased into a light jog feeling determined. My butt still jiggled, but I'm less self-conscious about it. Plus, I wore a long, black, slimming tank that covered my bootie. Since I've been working out consistently for the last 2 weeks, there were also less muffin tops flowing over my black leggings, so I was feeling pretty good about myself. Around mile 2, the hot trainer walked toward my treadmill. This time, he didn't just look at me and walk away, but rather, smiled, waved and said hi. I did the same as he approached and stood next to me.
I'm super bad at running, but I'm worse at running and talking as I easily get short of breath as my heart rate increases. When he did my initial fitness assessment, I was hoping that he didn't interpret my out-of-control heart rate on the stair climber as a sign that I thought he was cute, but rather, that I was just out of shape. While he stood close to me, I focused on not tripping and falling off the treadmill as well as controlling my insides and energy. He asked about my workouts with my chosen trainer and I joked around with him saying that my trainer was tougher than the boys here because she didn't allow me to quit when I massively complained. I told him about the workouts we were doing and he asked if I could feel it. I was like yeah and told him how my trainer causes me a lot of grief and pain. I called myself a masochist and he laughed for about 7.3 seconds. It was great. At the beginning when we were talking about goals for training, I felt comfortable enough with him to share that I had spent time in rehab. He wondered how I've been feeling, so I was pleased to tell him that I felt more energetic and stronger.
He also asked if it was time to do measurements, yet, and I smiled inside. I'm sure it's not what he intended, but what a great pick up line at the gym. I was dumb and told him that I thought it was supposed to be in a couple weeks. I should have just took him up on his offer, but I wanted more time to impress. He told me to let the front desk know when I was ready and he'd do it. Ok, so, I've seen my trainer do measurements of others, so I know she's capable. However, I'm perfectly willing to allow this monthly indulgence as it's fantastic motivation. I thought it was cool that he noticed that I was there and chatted with me instead of the hot, skinny, blond chick running next to me. After he left, I felt a natural high and ran for 3 more miles. I surpassed my 3 mile goal and did 5 miles in an hour. After an emotional few days, it was cool to feel a flurry of happiness and fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment