~There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit~ Nepoleon Bonaparte
As I watch the events unfolding in Egypt and reflect on some of the wars throughout history, it seems to me that power is more addictive than any drug or anything else in this world. However, the human spirit is more powerful than any religion or government that attempts to bind the hearts and minds of its people. Around the world, billions of people face persecution, torture and death for fundamental freedoms. In many countries, I would be dead because I'm a Christian and some of my friends would be killed because they choose to be spiritual rather than religious or choose to not believe anything at all.
I don't believe the expression "to whom much is given, much is expected" only pertains to those with financial resources. We all have been given the priceless gift of freedom in this country, so there is a responsibility to be a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. In June of 1989, when I was almost 13 years old, I saw a photo of a brave man standing in front of tanks in China. I learned that students were protesting in a place called Tiananmen Square because they wanted to be free. It was estimated that the Communist Party of China killed about 3000 unarmed students and other protesters. The image of that man had a profound impact on me as a teenager and I've thought about him over the years especially as I watch others in the world fighting to be free. No one knows what happened to that man. He was likely executed for embarrassing the Chinese government. His powerful spirit lives on though as Time Magazine named him the "Unknown Rebel" and included him in their top 100 list of the most important people of the 20th century.
In the 1st century, there was a man named Jesus who peacefully took on the Roman Empire and corrupt religious leadership. When Jesus was 30 years old, he began his ministry. He didn't create an army to persecute, torture and kill people in the name of God. He also didn't try to control and force people into believing in his Father. Instead, he expressed love for all people regardless of sex, race, ethnicity, sexuality, religious or political views. He didn't want to socialize exclusively with celebrities and wealthy people of that time. Instead, he preferred to be among poor people and other outcasts of society. He had compassion for all people and he healed the sick. Even though he was peaceful and innocent, he was still executed by the government when he was 33 years old by crucifixion. However, his power endured and he conquered the sword through his resurrection. Christianity spread throughout Rome and later, around the world.
I believe Jesus is the perfect example of a leader who wasn't addicted to power. During his time here, he taught, served and loved people. He also allowed people the freedom of religion and speech. All people deserve that right. The human spirit possesses limitless possibilities and potential and will overcome any religion or government that does not honor and respect their people. I pray for the billions of people without a voice. Someday they will be free.
As I watch the events unfolding in Egypt and reflect on some of the wars throughout history, it seems to me that power is more addictive than any drug or anything else in this world. However, the human spirit is more powerful than any religion or government that attempts to bind the hearts and minds of its people. Around the world, billions of people face persecution, torture and death for fundamental freedoms. In many countries, I would be dead because I'm a Christian and some of my friends would be killed because they choose to be spiritual rather than religious or choose to not believe anything at all.
I don't believe the expression "to whom much is given, much is expected" only pertains to those with financial resources. We all have been given the priceless gift of freedom in this country, so there is a responsibility to be a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. In June of 1989, when I was almost 13 years old, I saw a photo of a brave man standing in front of tanks in China. I learned that students were protesting in a place called Tiananmen Square because they wanted to be free. It was estimated that the Communist Party of China killed about 3000 unarmed students and other protesters. The image of that man had a profound impact on me as a teenager and I've thought about him over the years especially as I watch others in the world fighting to be free. No one knows what happened to that man. He was likely executed for embarrassing the Chinese government. His powerful spirit lives on though as Time Magazine named him the "Unknown Rebel" and included him in their top 100 list of the most important people of the 20th century.
In the 1st century, there was a man named Jesus who peacefully took on the Roman Empire and corrupt religious leadership. When Jesus was 30 years old, he began his ministry. He didn't create an army to persecute, torture and kill people in the name of God. He also didn't try to control and force people into believing in his Father. Instead, he expressed love for all people regardless of sex, race, ethnicity, sexuality, religious or political views. He didn't want to socialize exclusively with celebrities and wealthy people of that time. Instead, he preferred to be among poor people and other outcasts of society. He had compassion for all people and he healed the sick. Even though he was peaceful and innocent, he was still executed by the government when he was 33 years old by crucifixion. However, his power endured and he conquered the sword through his resurrection. Christianity spread throughout Rome and later, around the world.
I believe Jesus is the perfect example of a leader who wasn't addicted to power. During his time here, he taught, served and loved people. He also allowed people the freedom of religion and speech. All people deserve that right. The human spirit possesses limitless possibilities and potential and will overcome any religion or government that does not honor and respect their people. I pray for the billions of people without a voice. Someday they will be free.
No comments:
Post a Comment