Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 81: Art of Receiving (2.3.11)

~If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another~ Tenzin Gyatso

There's an art to giving as well as receiving.  It's difficult for me to accept gifts in all forms; help, time, compliments, wrapped, etc, but I'm almost always happy to give.  Why is that?  I think it's hard to be the recipient for most people and perhaps, especially true for those of us who grew up in the Midwest where we usually don't like being the center of attention, inconveniencing anyone or being fussed over.  We talked about this in treatment because it was a common theme that almost all of us felt unworthy to receive.  

I'm working on changing to a healthier mindset though.  I think most of us would admit that it feels really good inside to give to someone else.  It seems to be a wonderful gift for the giver's spirit when reaching out.  To deny a person the opportunity to feel peace and happiness through their generosity because I'm going to feel uncomfortable, is a little selfish of me.  I've discovered that there's an art to graciously accepting gifts and saying thank you as well.

I was relieved today because I started feeling a lot less nauseous.  My therapist and counselor expressed their disappointment this week that I quit cold turkey again without consulting doctors or treatment staff first.  My counselor told me that Paxil has the worst withdrawal symptoms out of all the anti-depressants and I could have worked with a doctor to taper off safely and more comfortably.  One of the reasons that I don't like to receive is pure stubbornness, too.  I said that I'd continue to work on asking for help and including others on my decision making process as I need to remember that my best thinking before is what caused an insanely unmanageable life and a stint in rehab in the first place.  

I was sick of my smelly, greasy self, so it felt very good to bathe.  As I sat in the hot, comfy tub, I was grateful for being sick in the states rather than being sick elsewhere.  It's been reported that about 3 billion people in this world have no access to running water within a mile of their homes.  There are millions of problems around the world, so millions of opportunities to give gifts of time, money or effort and in return, the priceless gift of feeling peace and joy awaits. 

To all of you who have kindly sent prayers and positive energy my way during my recovery, thank you so much.  I humbly accept those gifts from you.  Peace!     












No comments: