Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 117: PMS APP (3.11.11)

~Women complain about PMS, but I think of it as the only time of the month that I can be myself~ Roseanne Barr

It was Friday night and I was exhausted.  I completed my third full week back at work and got my period on Wednesday.  I'm learning to listen to my body, so I skipped out on a happy hour and a margarita Pampered Chef party.  While in recovery, I've learned to avoid using situations especially when I'm feeling particularly vulnerable such as being tired and crabby.   

Even though I've had my period since I was 12 years old, it still seems to creep up on me each month.  There's an app now for everything, so I decided to finally start tracking my cycle using Period Tracker.  I noticed my PMS symptoms worsen as I grew older and these became exacerbated when I started using chemicals.  I read on the Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Women's Mental Health website that up to 80% of women of reproductive age experience PMS symptoms which occur about 1-2 weeks prior to menses and remits on the onset of menses.

PMS
Psychological Symptoms:
Depression
Anger
Irritability
Anxiety
Sensitivity to rejection
Sense of feeling overwhelmed
Social withdrawal

Physical Symptoms: 
Lethargy or fatigue
Sleep disturbance (usually hypersomnia)
Appetite disturbance (usually increased)
Abdominal bloating
Breast tenderness
Headaches
Muscle aches, joint pain
Swelling of extremities


I experience all of these symptoms, but starting in my late teens, I noticed more severe symptoms including suicidal thoughts as it became closer to my period.  The MGH website also talks about Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) which affects up to 8% of women of reproductive age.  PMDD is characterized by more significant premenstrual mood disturbances.  These also begin about 1-2 weeks prior to menses and remit at the onset of menses.  MGH says that PMDD results in marked social and occupational impairment, with it's most prominent effects in interpersonal functioning.

PMDD Symptoms:
Feelings of sadness, hopelessness or suicidal thoughts
Severe stress, tension, anxiety or panic attacks
Extreme irritability or anger that affects others
Mood swings that include crying
Loss of interest in normal activities and relationships
Problems with concentration or ability to focus on tasks
Severe fatigue or loss of normal energy level
Food cravings or binging

I hadn't heard about PMDD until rehab, but about a year ago, I talked to my doctor about  severe PMS symptoms that felt debilitating and impacted my relationships.  I started taking an additional anti-depressant to manage symptoms, but with the use of alcohol, it complicates everything and I obviously didn't find much relief.  It would've been interesting to track if I drank more closer to my period.  It wouldn't surprise me if I had as all the symptoms above were triggers for me.  Thankfully, when I stopped using chemicals and made other lifestyle changes, my PMS/PMDD symptoms became less severe or non-existent.   

It's crazy how fast a couple weeks will go by and I'll start feeling irritable, angry and weepy and then my period starts.  It's like oh yeah, it's that time of month already.  During my annual physical, my doctor will ask when my period ended and I have to guess sometimes.  So, no more.  I'm tracking it so I won't be caught off guard and will give myself a break when I feel symptoms emerge.  It's not me; it's hormones.  I'm not not this horrible person as some of this hormonal stuff is beyond my control, but I can prepare by eating right, sleeping, exercising, etc.  

The app enables me to track my period, mood and symptoms.  Based on my period dates, it estimates my fertile days with green circles, ovulation day with a flower and "intimacy" days with a heart.  No sex days for me, but it's interesting to be aware of fertility dates now.  I've noticed that I'm looking at guys and pruning more on those days.  Unlike my period days, when I couldn't care less about how I look.  Biology is an amazing thing.    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely relate to this - thanks (as usual) for being so open. We all joke about PMS, but I've realized recently that PMS or PMDD have seriously exacerbated whatever other struggles I've had.

Anonymous said...

I track my cycle for natural family planning. Great way to avoid birth control pills and unwanted pregnancy. Totally understand PMDD.