~Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work~ Vince Lombardi
I was never a support group gal before treatment. The thought of sitting around with a group of women and/or men talking about feelings and experiences sounded more miserable than my life. To do it soberly, sounded like death. If someone told me last year that I would be attending more than 200 support group meetings in and outside of treatment by this time, it would've caused me to drink a few extra glasses of wine in anticipation.
The week before I entered rehab in November, a friend was helping me look for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. I couldn't decide if I should go to a mixed one with testosterone and estrogen or one with all estrogen. Since I wasn't in touch with my feelings prior to rehab, the latter sounded like purgatory. Plus, I needed motivation to go since I wasn't seeing guys at the bar. I was a little worried though that if a hot guy was in the room, I wouldn't be able to open up even though we'd share something blatantly obvious in common. Choices, choices.
After attending multiple groups in the last few months, I surprisingly discovered that I could be open and honest in all groups with women, men and women and ones with mostly men. I've learned to focus more on voices while people tell their stories rather than outside appearances. I've been blessed to meet some of the most beautiful, intelligent and authentic people in these groups.
At first, I went to meetings for myself and now as I've bonded with different people, I go for them, too. We learn from each other. All the groups have been safe, non-judgemental places where I feel comfortable sharing all of my secrets. I feel less neurotic and crazy knowing that I'm not alone in many of my experiences. I'm very grateful that while attending these groups, I found my voice.
The week before I entered rehab in November, a friend was helping me look for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. I couldn't decide if I should go to a mixed one with testosterone and estrogen or one with all estrogen. Since I wasn't in touch with my feelings prior to rehab, the latter sounded like purgatory. Plus, I needed motivation to go since I wasn't seeing guys at the bar. I was a little worried though that if a hot guy was in the room, I wouldn't be able to open up even though we'd share something blatantly obvious in common. Choices, choices.
After attending multiple groups in the last few months, I surprisingly discovered that I could be open and honest in all groups with women, men and women and ones with mostly men. I've learned to focus more on voices while people tell their stories rather than outside appearances. I've been blessed to meet some of the most beautiful, intelligent and authentic people in these groups.
At first, I went to meetings for myself and now as I've bonded with different people, I go for them, too. We learn from each other. All the groups have been safe, non-judgemental places where I feel comfortable sharing all of my secrets. I feel less neurotic and crazy knowing that I'm not alone in many of my experiences. I'm very grateful that while attending these groups, I found my voice.
No comments:
Post a Comment