Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 127: CEO of My Life (3.21.11)

~In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield~ Warren Buffet

My windshield is still a bit buggy, unclear and uncertain as I continue to work on removing the debris.  Looking in the rearview mirror at the business of my life though, I was like an entrepreneur as I organized, operated and assumed the risk for my life's ventures.  I didn't have many venture capitalists that gave me encouragement or believed in me, so I supplied most of my own capital through my efforts.  With minimal training, I started running my life at an early age.  It was one big experiment with family, friendships, relationships, men, money, marriage, religion, health, education, work, etc.  I was very independent and felt accountable only to myself.  I was the CEO of My Life.   

Throughout life, I experienced a series of challenges, setbacks and rewards and I felt like it was me against a world of sharks.  The climate of my life was unsettling at times and there were moments of panic, but early in my life, I was resourceful and seemed to always find a way to make it work.  I didn't think I needed role models or mentors.  I was undisciplined and thought I had an endless budget of time and energy.  When my life was suffering, I fought to continue, but progressively, things started falling apart and it became increasingly difficult to perform tasks and fix things on my own.  Arrogantly and fearfully, I continued to do the same things over and over and expected that things would be different the next time around.  Insanely, I never stopped to evaluate, reassess and seek consult.  After many years as sole owner, I eventually destroyed my life.

After I hit bottom, I decided to temporarily remove myself as CEO and replace it with a team of people who I researched and hired to assist in rebuilding my life.  I realized that it was impossible to continue operating my life on my own accord as I didn't possess all the knowledge and tools to grow my life.  I felt stuck and hopeless, so I needed to start entrusting experts with repairing, healing and prospering my life.  I chose to release the relentless grip that I had and drastically change course in order to accomplish my new goals of sobriety and self-improvement.  As a result of allowing others to assist in building a solid foundation, I'm slowly emerging from bankrupting my life.  I'm very blessed and grateful to the people that have invested their time and energy on me. 

I've started to look at my mind, body and spirit as subsidiaries of my life.  Each entity is intimately connected and greatly impacts the other.  I've organized a wonderful team of people who have my best interest at heart.  God, friends, family, pastors, therapists, counselors, doctors, lawyers, trainers, managers, peers, etc, are readily available to help maintain my body, mind and spirit.  In order to manage sobriety, I need remain diligently conscious of the necessities of my life.  If anything feels out of sync, I have to analyze and review each area of my life.  Some of the questions I ask during my internal assessment include:
  • Am I statusing with God?  
  • Am I eating right?  
  • Am I sleeping?  
  • Am I exercising?  
  • Am I attending meetings? 
  • Am I managing stress?  
  • Am I financially responsible?  
  • Am I going to church?  
  • Am I volunteering?  
  • Am I hanging out with friends? 
Usually, if my life is struggling, I'm not executing on some of these items.  Then, I have choices to make on next steps which include changing my behavior and actions or asking my beloved team for help.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.