Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 121: Sighting (3.15.11)

~We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken~ Fydor Dostoevsky

We had our annual spring business meeting for work.  Thousands of employees filled a stadium to hear leadership speak.  My soon-to-be ex-husband and I work for the same company, but didn't meet here.  Luckily, we work in separate divisions and buildings.  Prior to the meeting, I wondered what I would do if I bumped into him, but didn't give it much thought as the the chances were minimal with thousands of people in attendance.  I walked over to the meeting with a few friends.  We decided to try a different way into the stadium as one entrance was jammed with people.  At the other entrance, I saw buses that had transported employees from the other buildings.  Then, I looked over and saw him as he stared back at me.  

I remember the first time that I saw him at a party almost 10 years ago.  I actually liked one of his friends and he liked my roommate.  When our first choices weren't interested, we gravitated towards each other, so we were both each others' second choices.  I remember when I first started noticing him at a bar while we were partying with friends.  I thought he was fun and wanted him to like me.  When I saw him at the business meeting, we looked at each for a few seconds and then I turned away.  I was expressionless, but internally, I felt disgusted for a variety of reasons in myself and him.  I commented to my friends that I just saw my ex-husband.  I have a lot to share about my experiences with marriage and divorce, but I can't say anything now as we're still in litigation.  I also learned that my ex is a reader of my blog.  It's devastating how things evolved from that very first glance.  I have many regrets. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly hope his lawyer is reading this blog.