~Life is a roller coaster. Sometimes you're at the top of the hill feeling good. Other times you're heading for the bottom feeling totally out of control. Life is full of things that are hard to handle, but you can get through them~ Reggie Dabbs
It was the day after St Patty's Day and I didn't feel hungover, but continued to feel irritable. Not sure which one I'd rather be at that point. It was about 6 weeks from the time that I started working out, so it was time to get measurements done by the hot trainer after work. I laughed when he said that I had gained inches, but in the wrong places; 2 inches in my neck and 6 inches in my shoulders! My fat usually goes to my butt and thighs. Is it now redistributing to my neck and shoulders or am I gaining bulging muscles there?! Apparently, the other trainer, who no longer worked there, did my measurements wrong. It was fun to chuckle about it after a hard day. Just new problem areas to tone up, I guess. He asked if I went out last night. I told him that I was a good girl and went to the gym which I had done after treatment. He said that he didn't go out either.
During the last weigh-in, I left my shoes on, but this time, I asked if I could remove these. I had been eating my favorite comfort foods; pasta, rice, bread and sugar to manage stress, so I knew that I had gained a few pounds. Weigh-ins stress me out, so I wanted to ease the pain of seeing the number on the scale. With my shoes off, I weighed the same as last time which was 136. Not losing anything after putting in so many hours at the gym was a little disheartening even though I know muscle weighs more than fat, but ingesting extra calories didn't help. Overall, I felt stronger and healthier though and my fitness assessment went well. I could lift heavier weights, do more sit-ups and my endurance improved. Afterwards, I had a session with my beloved personal trainer. She's kind of like a therapist who pushes me physically, so I signed up for 4 more sessions a month. I left the gym feeling much better than earlier in the day.
Later that night, my friend arranged a roller skating party at a local rink which hosted adult theme nights from 8-midnight. It was timely because I went to my first roller derby a few weeks ago and I wanted to try skating again, but without the bumping and jamming, although, that would be fun, too. The last time that I skated was in elementary school. I was looking forward to doing something different on a Friday night and hanging out with friends after a long week. I laced up my skates and wobbled around like an infant trying to walk. It was a large, dimly lit place with old school funk and disco playing in the background. Nostalgia hit as I slowly made my first lap and instantly, I went back in time to Cheap Skate as I remembered holding hands with a boy while skating around in circles to some 80's hair band ballad.
It was quite an eclectic group there of all different ages, sizes, shapes, skin color and apparel. I was surprised that there were slightly more men than women. Some were on roller blades, but I wanted to nerdily challenge myself on skates. I was jealous of some of the gracefully coordinated skaters who could do things like skate backwards and spin. Everyone was passing me and it annoyed me a little. My competitive nature hit, so I circled and circled the rink practicing my turns and putting one foot in front of the other. I could feel it in my legs and hips and I started working up a sweat. After a couple hours, I became pretty comfortable. I moved faster, rocked my turns and felt cool passing people. I was coasting along and then BAM! I fell flat on my elbows and knees when I tripped over my own feet while making a turn. The floor was very unforgiving and of course, I biffed in front of a large crowd of people. Someone offered to help me up, but I was too embarrassed to accept. I slowly got up on my own and kept rolling with scathed body parts and ego. There was one point in the evening that I wondered why I had never tried skating while intoxicated, but it's probably a good thing as I would've ended up even more injured.
It was the day after St Patty's Day and I didn't feel hungover, but continued to feel irritable. Not sure which one I'd rather be at that point. It was about 6 weeks from the time that I started working out, so it was time to get measurements done by the hot trainer after work. I laughed when he said that I had gained inches, but in the wrong places; 2 inches in my neck and 6 inches in my shoulders! My fat usually goes to my butt and thighs. Is it now redistributing to my neck and shoulders or am I gaining bulging muscles there?! Apparently, the other trainer, who no longer worked there, did my measurements wrong. It was fun to chuckle about it after a hard day. Just new problem areas to tone up, I guess. He asked if I went out last night. I told him that I was a good girl and went to the gym which I had done after treatment. He said that he didn't go out either.
During the last weigh-in, I left my shoes on, but this time, I asked if I could remove these. I had been eating my favorite comfort foods; pasta, rice, bread and sugar to manage stress, so I knew that I had gained a few pounds. Weigh-ins stress me out, so I wanted to ease the pain of seeing the number on the scale. With my shoes off, I weighed the same as last time which was 136. Not losing anything after putting in so many hours at the gym was a little disheartening even though I know muscle weighs more than fat, but ingesting extra calories didn't help. Overall, I felt stronger and healthier though and my fitness assessment went well. I could lift heavier weights, do more sit-ups and my endurance improved. Afterwards, I had a session with my beloved personal trainer. She's kind of like a therapist who pushes me physically, so I signed up for 4 more sessions a month. I left the gym feeling much better than earlier in the day.
Later that night, my friend arranged a roller skating party at a local rink which hosted adult theme nights from 8-midnight. It was timely because I went to my first roller derby a few weeks ago and I wanted to try skating again, but without the bumping and jamming, although, that would be fun, too. The last time that I skated was in elementary school. I was looking forward to doing something different on a Friday night and hanging out with friends after a long week. I laced up my skates and wobbled around like an infant trying to walk. It was a large, dimly lit place with old school funk and disco playing in the background. Nostalgia hit as I slowly made my first lap and instantly, I went back in time to Cheap Skate as I remembered holding hands with a boy while skating around in circles to some 80's hair band ballad.
It was quite an eclectic group there of all different ages, sizes, shapes, skin color and apparel. I was surprised that there were slightly more men than women. Some were on roller blades, but I wanted to nerdily challenge myself on skates. I was jealous of some of the gracefully coordinated skaters who could do things like skate backwards and spin. Everyone was passing me and it annoyed me a little. My competitive nature hit, so I circled and circled the rink practicing my turns and putting one foot in front of the other. I could feel it in my legs and hips and I started working up a sweat. After a couple hours, I became pretty comfortable. I moved faster, rocked my turns and felt cool passing people. I was coasting along and then BAM! I fell flat on my elbows and knees when I tripped over my own feet while making a turn. The floor was very unforgiving and of course, I biffed in front of a large crowd of people. Someone offered to help me up, but I was too embarrassed to accept. I slowly got up on my own and kept rolling with scathed body parts and ego. There was one point in the evening that I wondered why I had never tried skating while intoxicated, but it's probably a good thing as I would've ended up even more injured.
2 comments:
Do you remember when you and I went roller blading at the park by your parents old house...and I biffed huge on that hill? Ha ha I feel your embarrassment! :)
It is a glorious thing to be indifferent to suffering, but only to one's own suffering.
Post a Comment