Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 119: Tithing (3.13.11)

~Give me five minutes with a person's checkbook, and I will tell you where their heart is~ Billy Graham

While in elementary school, my friend and me were talking about the churches we attended.  I told her that my family went to an Evangelical Free church and my Catholic friend thought it was cool because she said that her family's church was really expensive.  I've never been a tither or a cheerful giver.  The few times I did go to services prior to rehab, it always felt like an obligation to give.  My family stopped going to a couple different churches growing up because they thought the pastors talked about money too much.  I've always been fine giving the majority of money to CEO's of companies who ask for money through ads, but for some reason, it always felt awkward to hear pastors of churches ask for money.  

I read an article that the Bible has 500 versus on prayer, fewer than 500 versus on faith and more than 2000 versus on money.  It said that 15% of everything that Jesus ever taught was on the subject of money and possessions; more than his teachings on Heaven and Hell combined.  The article cited that there was a fundamental connection between our spiritual lives and how we think about and handle money.  In my experience, I wholeheartedly agree.  When I didn't feel like enough, I never had enough.   

A few Sundays ago, my pastor did a series on tithing.  He said that whenever he speaks on the subject, he receives negative feedback from some people who say they won't attend anymore.  My church isn't legalistic about giving.  My pastor explained that it's a heart thing.  They don't require that people give nor do they tell people that they can't get into Heaven if they don't give.  In my experience, they've welcomed everyone including this former addict who isn't able to give a lot right now.  I remember my grandpa talking about a church who kept track of what each person gave and if you didn't tithe enough, then you couldn't be buried in the church cemetery.

By definition, tithing is a tenth of one's annual income and it's something that I'd like to work towards, but I'm far from it right now.  The first week that I was planning to give, I decided not to because I chose to spend my money on other stuff.  It's a tough process for me to try and become a good steward.  I have a hard time letting go and trusting God in all things especially my finances.  I truly believe that He has infinite knowledge and resources, but my actions don't reflect that belief.  It's hypocritical as I hang on tightly to my money.  I've made some very poor financial decisions in the past, so you'd think that it'd be easy for me to ask God for help.  However, it's been difficult.

My church gives a lot of money away and they're investing in lives rather than products.  Buying things for myself bought me temporary happiness, but I know in the future, giving money away will bring me longer lasting joy.  I'm working on getting to a place where I'm okay with God controlling my finances.  I idolized money for a long time.  I know that I don't have to give anything to get into Heaven because Jesus paid the ultimate price, but to grow in my faith, I want to practice good stewardship, cheerful giving and letting go.  If I give the small amount that I can right now, I believe that God can multiply money like he did with fish and loaves.  In order for me to increase my giving, I need to manage my desire for more and be okay with enough.  If I think that I am enough, then I don't need anymore.       

PS Welcome Hungary!  Excited to add it to my travel list.

No comments: