~St. Patrick…one of the few saints whose feast day presents the opportunity to get determinedly whacked and make a fool of oneself all under the guise of acting Irish~ Charles M. Madigan
Just over 4 months sober! Time for another medallion and another round of post-acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS). Unluckily, it had to happen around St Patty's Day and the luck of the Irish brought a beautiful, sunny, 50-degree day to celebrate. I would've loved to have been out with my friends, but I experienced big time cravings that day. I actually almost started crying because of the intensity. Stress is my biggest trigger, so cravings creep up especially when I'm experiencing PAWS; mood swings, anxiety, irritability, tiredness, variable energy, low enthusiasm, variable concentration and disturbed sleep. Symptoms usually last a couple years and not coincidentally, occur around AA medallion milestones. If you can ride it out, you earn a chip. Luckily, St Patty's Day fell on a Thursday because I had outpatient treatment later that night.
The Brain Chemistry lecture was scheduled which was appropriate since mine was regulating again. As much as I love the lecture, I saw it about 3 times during inpatient, so luckily, they didn't make me sit through it again and I just met with a counselor for about an hour. One of the interesting things I learned from that class was about ethnic and cultural risk factors which contribute to alcoholism. People of East Asian descent sometimes have fewer enzymes in their liver to metabolize alcohol, so they may experience a rash or appear flushed when drinking. There are fewer cases of alcoholism among East Asians, but higher rates of opiate abuse. Those of Irish, English or Russian descent may have double the enzymes, so along with other factors, there may be an increased risk for alcoholism. Some people of Native American decent have a sensitivity to sugar, so there may be higher risks for obesity, diabetes and alcoholism. After my chiro mentioned that I might be a mixed breed, it made sense because I've never seen or met another East Asian while in treatment or in all the support groups that I've attended so far.
Other reasons I may be mixed with Irish or other ethnicity:
1. I am not good at math
2. I am a good driver; no accidents (caused by me) and only one moving violation in 19 yrs
2. I am not good in bed (according, to one guy)
3. My slumlord made fun of me for not knowing how to use a rice cooker
4. Asian Fit sunglasses by Oakley do not fit my face right
No comments:
Post a Comment