Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 45: Addiction (12.29.11)

~I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship~ Louisa May Alcott

I woke up this morning and felt relieved and elated.  I weathered the storm of depression without the help of my comforting companions Alcohol, Xanax and the rest of the gang.  At group today in treatment, we talked about the symptoms of addiction.  After about a month, I was finally wrapping my brain around why addiction is a disease and not a choice.  It always seemed to me that labeling it as a disease was an excuse.  This belief caused me much shame and embarrassment. Of course, it was my decision to use alcohol and drugs, but it wasn't my decision to become addicted to it.   Treatment allowed me to educate myself on the science and biology of addiction.  Basically, If you compulsively do something over and over again, it changes the chemicals and wiring in the brain to make it think that if you don't do whatever is feeding your addiction, you will die, so your mind becomes obsessed.  Addiction doesn't discriminate either and anyone can become addicted to sugar, video games, caffeine, food, work, shopping, gambling, sports, relationships/sex, alcohol, drugs, etc.

Here are some symptoms of addiction that we came up with in group:
  • lack of boundaries
  • irritability
  • restlessness
  • argumentative
  • losing  goals
  • justification
  • preoccupation
  • blaming
  • chaos
  • lack of goals
  • covering up
  • overwhelmed
  • hospitalization
  • stressed out
  • excuses
  • confusion
  • losing will to live
  • isolation
  • blackouts
  • suicidal thoughts/actions
  • getting high
  • intoxication
  • extreme behavior
  • lying
  • hopelessness
  • committed (forced hospitalization, treatment, etc)
  • inability to control/impulsive
  • depression
  • inability to focus
  • using at work
  • anxiety
  • physical illness
  • poor mental health
  • denial
  • pain
  • resentments
  • people complaining of use
  • family history
  • desperation
  • anger
  • relationship problems
  • fighting
  • memory loss
  • loss of values
  • injuring others
  • eating disorders
  • distancing
  • withdrawals
  • tolerance
  • genetics
  • promiscuity
  • financial burdens
  • sleep problems 
  • unsafe sex
  • disappointing people
  • loss of relationships/children
  • spending time with using people
  • poor parenting
  • manipulation
  • guilt
  • legal problems
  • loss of home
  • shame
  • illegal behavior
  • self loathing
  • self pity
  • scaring people
  • enablers
  • excuses
  • poor nutrition
  • stealing
  • apathy
  • perfectionism
  • poor health and grooming
  • unmanagability
  • abuse
  • codependency
  • dysfunctional relations
  • endangering self
  • loss of self respect
  • spiritual disconnection
My addiction of choice were drugs and alcohol and as my disease progressed, symptoms increased as happens with most other diseases.  When I walked into treatment on November 24th, I thought I only had 3 symptoms; getting high and intoxicated and depression. Out of the 81 symptoms above, I actually had 79 symptoms related to my drug and alcohol abuse. 

No comments: