~Aunt Marion was right...Never marry a musician, and never answer the door~ Charles M. Schulz
"Cind, what do you want me to read?" My adorable 5-year-old niece eagerly asked. "That's ok, sweetie, I'm good," I replied smiling at her. "No, Cind, you need a book," she insisted. I couldn't say no to that innocent, sweet face as she sat next to me; my little shadow. I looked over my shoulder at the library of options. Some of the books I had given to her as a baby. "How about 'It's Potty Time?'" She was very pleased with my selection as it perfectly captured the moment. If you've ever wondered why girls always go to the bathroom together, it's to chat; whether gossiping, joking around or learning more about why peeing and pooping are fun.
"Cind, what do you want me to read?" My adorable 5-year-old niece eagerly asked. "That's ok, sweetie, I'm good," I replied smiling at her. "No, Cind, you need a book," she insisted. I couldn't say no to that innocent, sweet face as she sat next to me; my little shadow. I looked over my shoulder at the library of options. Some of the books I had given to her as a baby. "How about 'It's Potty Time?'" She was very pleased with my selection as it perfectly captured the moment. If you've ever wondered why girls always go to the bathroom together, it's to chat; whether gossiping, joking around or learning more about why peeing and pooping are fun.
I'm doing recovery from the disease of addiction not only for myself, but for my 3 nieces and 2 nephews. They're young enough that I could easily ask my family and friends to keep my rehab stint a secret, but that doesn't help them or me. The greatest lessons that I've learned from life so far are those that I've gained from my failures. One way that I can successfully keep this disease in remission is to own my numerous failures that led me to rehab. I've come to the conclusion that it's important for me to share these life experiences with my nieces and nephews. No one learns anything from perfection; everyone has the opportunity to grow and learn from mistakes. One of the main reasons why I choose to live is to watch my nieces and nephews grow physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually. I'm excited to celebrate their successes as well as lessons learned from their failures. I'll be there to help them through, love them no matter what and let them know someday how they contributed to saving my life.
Later in the night, Emi and I made cuppy cakes with fun sprinkles in the batter. She's growing up so fast and of course, wanted to pour and stir the ingredients all by herself. She let me help a little and hopefully, she'll allow me to help a little in the future as she grows up, too. How do we celebrate her cuppy cake making achievement? Emi has great parents who usually don't let her eat anything with raw eggs, but luckily, she has an auntie who believes that she's never gotten sick from delicious batter or cookie dough. Emi hesitantly took the spoon dripping with raw batter goodness. "What do I do?" she asked. "Lick it," I said. After the first taste, she ecstatically exclaimed, "Mmmm...this is good bladder!"
No comments:
Post a Comment