Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 2: Withdrawal (11.16.11)

 ~Do not dwell in the past, do not dream in the future, concentrate on the mind on the present moment~ Buddha

As I withdraw from alcohol and all prescription medications for the moment, I've been experiencing the consequences of abusing both.  I haven't been able to sleep the last couple nights as my mind and body collide.  After withdrawing from life by numbing myself for years, I finally want to feel and right now, I feel exhausted, but content.  The heart palpitations, racing thoughts, shakiness, anxiousness, nausea have finally subsided, but in the midst of feeling miserable last night, I heard a voice say "you are free" and then it kept repeating itself for a minute. It was a unique and special experience for me as I don't recall the last time I heard a positive voice in my head.

Since I don't want to take any pills right now, I'm interested in alternative therapies and medicine.  Tonight, I tried Reiki which is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing.  It was an amazing experience because it wasn't a doctor spending 15 minutes with me and prescribing more meds.  It was basically healing touch which has been around for centuries.  I was lying on the table with a pillow under my head and knees and felt this burst of electricity running through one side of my body.  I asked her what that was and she asked me to describe it, so I told her about the sensation.  She said that she had just put a healing crystal under the table.  I know it sounds so bizarre, but it was a really cool feeling.  I had my eyes closed, but could feel as she moved her hands, the energy around me was also moving.  I felt some of the negative energy leaving my body and positive energy replacing it which was very cleansing.  I can only nerdily describe it as how The Force must feel like in Star Wars and now, this calming middle-aged woman with soft, blue eyes was like my Yoda.  I can't wait to go back on Saturday.