Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 1: Sober (11.15.10)

~The problem with some people is that when they're not drunk, they're sober~ William Butler Yeats

When you start to truly believe this, then it's probably time for a change. This morning, I saw the half-drunk bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon Three Buck Chuck sitting on the kitchen counter from the night before and wanted to puke. I was about to pour it out, but then stopped. It seemed an overly dramatic way to end this chapter in my life. When I told my roommate that I quit drinking, he said that he would gladly drink the rest of it, so at least, the Buck Fifty didn't go to waste.  

A series of events over the past 17 years led me to make this drastic decision. When everyone in the room is worried except you, then there's likely a problem. There's a fine line between being the life of the party and the dumb ass at the party.  What was cute, funny and adorable in your 20's is not as cute in your 30's. I don't want to become the bar fly at 40; I want to be flying down to Disney World with my own family. I love happy hour, but for me, it became hours, so it's time to begrudgingly get back on that dusty wagon.

I sought counseling today with a wonderful woman that reminded me of Cinderella's Fairy Godmother. She waved her wand of 30-plus years of experience saying that I would die soon if I continued on this path. I want to get to a point where I care was my response. She had this weird twitch on her face that I ignored because she was so comforting. I assured her that I hate blood and wouldn't harm myself. Instead of glass slippers, she gave me a list of contacts. I finally surrendered to the fact that no Prince Charming was going to save me, I needed to save myself.  

Ugh, where did I put that list?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Cindy! I know you can do it! Regain your life. Love you and praying for you! love mom

Anonymous said...

You have a ton of Friends & Family who are there for you. Always look to the light.

thekbb said...

I believe in you.

Mike Boardley said...

Cindy,

Go see Dr. Gallagher at Brookwest Chiropractic in Brooklyn Park, MN. He is THE BEST chiro period.

Also, I pray that you will not go see Reiki Master. All that negative energy non-sense is an a excuse to cause you to focus on everything other than Jesus Christ and The Gospel.

You were raised in the church and should know the answers to your situations and problems are not found in some "Master" but found in Christ.

Not all road lead to God and not all religions are the same. You know Jesus said "I am THE WAY, I AM THE TRUTH and I AM THE LIFE. No one comes to God, but through me."

As your longtime friend, I pray you will not go to this person and instead seek fellowship at a God honoring, Bible believing church.

Not trying to preach at you, just letting you if you've lost your way, the way back is Jesus.

I will be praying for you.

Love,
Mike

Anonymous said...

No matter what, I will ALWAYS be here for you, anytime, anywhere, for any reason.

Bruce

Anonymous said...

Do what works for YOU. Reiki, Buddhism, God...

Idlerich said...

Just make sure you write something here everyday. I've been down this road...

ctmurphy said...

Cindy I see a woman for Thai Yoga Massage who is also a Reiki master and I was really surprised at the results from even just 15 minutes of it with her after a massage. She at least was surprisingly clinical about it, not new-agey at all.