Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 134: Reliving (3.28.11)

Writing, I think, is not apart from living.  Writing is a kind of double living.  The writer experiences everything twice.  Once in reality and once in that mirror which waits always before or behind ~ Catherine Drinker Bowen

Life and the weather have been a bit nicer in recent days, so it's difficult to go inside and revisit the last couple months.  However, writing is a process that helps me let go and gain insight.  It's beneficial to analyze the last couple months now that I'm outside of the cloudiness.  I never knew the trauma of divorce until I went through it myself.  It's so commonplace in our society that growing up, I thought little of it if a relative or friend's parents got divorced.  In recent years, I've heard it described multiple times as like a death and that analogy best defines my experience as well.  During this tumultuous journey, there's been excruciating physical, emotional and spiritual pain.  Even though, I believe, it was the right decision for me, I have nothing good to say about divorce.  It was heart-wrenching. 

On that Monday, I weighed myself and gained a couple pounds.  Unfortunately, I knew it wasn't muscle.  My "drug" of choice became sugar; cookies, candy, hot cocoa and lattes.  Ugh!  I was determined to start a cleanse or 21 day fast again.  My allergies were also bad that weekend or it could've been a cold or even a combo.  I was stressed out while gathering information for pretrial and the anger towards my ex continued to fester.  That day, I talked to lawyer #1 for my divorce and lawyer #2 for my car accident.  I don't think I ever talked to a single lawyer my whole entire life and now, I'm working with two.  Over the weekend, multiple people called out of the blue; my best friend from high school, another friend from high school, a friend from treatment and my auntie.  God doesn't allow me to isolate for too long and I appreciated the nudges He gave people to call or write me when I was feeling extremely low.  I was also very grateful to my friends and auntie who provided comfort while I experienced this chaos.  I was trying my best not to numb this time around while dealing with immense grief and loss from the death of a marriage. 

No comments: