~Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened~ Dr Seuss
Sometimes when things are tough, I seek out Suessological advice when "sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple." I am one of those hang-er on-ers of guilt. Why? I dunno. I wish I could be more like my nieces and nephews when it comes to getting over things. I think one of the reasons they have so much energy is because when they make a mistake, they don't dwell and hang on to energy-zapping guilt. They're superfluous examples of speedy resiliency.
On a slightly serious note, hanging on to guilt is a rather twisted way of practicing penance and paying reparations for previous failures. The Flagellants practice an extreme act of penance by whipping their flesh until blood seems to wash away their sins. Some of us are more discrete by tearing ourselves up internally until we feel a distorted retribution. In these kinds of self-inflicted punishments, our souls find no peace in wounds and the infectious suffering prevents us from experiencing the true lessons of healing and forgiveness. Sometimes peace can be an unsettling feeling for a restless soul. However, self-mutilation of the body and mind is deceptive and doesn't amend transgressions, it merely prolongs the pain and damages our ability to accomplish our life's dreams.
"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." As a painful chapter in my life closes, I am slowly feeling more like Me again by letting go and moving on with My life. Thanks, Dr Seuss.
No comments:
Post a Comment