Saturday, January 2, 2010

Never Eat Soggy Waffles

~Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves~ Henry David Thoreau

I have no internal compass. I get lost moving in a straight line. My cardinal points are not N, E, S, and W. Mine are S, R, L, and M; straight, right, left and by this mall. I have attempted using the sun to guide my way, but after DST ends, I'm pretty much screwed after 5pm. Kind family and friends knowing of this ineptness, illustrate straightforward maps or provide a pinpoint list of roads, exits and bridges. Through no fault of their own, however, I still find myself disoriented and missing the destination.

Standing in front of a map inside Piccadilly Station looking at the circus of tubes running through London's underground made me want to throw myself in front of the trains. But, after many trial runs, I found my way.
I veer off life's road through many distractions, bad choices, and discontent; losing site of the ultimate goal. It takes me longer than most; days, weeks, months, or years to figure things out, but eventually, I get back on track. I've gained the most strength and wisdom through failure.

No comments: